- Smokefree sites
- Start the session
- Why Children's Centres are smokefree
- What does smokefree mean?
- Your role
- What to say to a smokerA recap
- Body language
- Brief advice
- What is Brief Advice?
- Why is it important?
- What's in tobacco?
- Smoking in pregnancy
- Secondhand smoke (SHS) in the home is harmful to children
- Supporting smokers to quitVideo
- The Three AsA recap
- NHS Stop Smoking Services in Devon
- Other ways of getting help
- Take the test
Why is it important?
Smoking is the largest single preventable cause of death, killing over 80,000 people annually in England alone. This totals more than suicide, diabetes, alcohol and drug related deaths, road traffic and all other accidents put together.
Half of all smokers will die prematurely from their addiction
Source: ASH Factsheet: “Smoking statistics, illness and death” June 2011