Research shows that smokers are 4 times more likely to quit with the right medical and behavioural support compared with simply going ‘Cold Turkey’ and trying to quit unaided. It is vital for general practices in Devon to provide a high quality, accessible stop smoking service for their clients.
Please use this page to find information about smoking cessation support in GP settings, Stop Smoking Service training, downloads of service specifications, NRT log forms, monitoring forms and guidance.
Stop Smoking Service Training
GP settings can access a variety of stop smoking service training including:
Please note – at least one stop smoking adviser must attend the Level 2 refresher training annually, to ensure knowledge is up to date and is cascaded to other smoking cessation advisors within the practice.
Useful information for current providers of Stop Smoking Services in GP settings:
- All activity data must be submitted quarterly using the Public Health Smoking Cessation Data Entry Sheet (Excel spreadsheet) which is sent out to all practices via the practice manager. Completed forms should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org Guidance for completing these quarterly returns can be found in the latest service specification and in the video below.
- If you need to recalibrate or order a new Carbon Monoxide (CO) monitor, please contact Solutions4Health at email@example.com
- CO monitor mouthpieces – GP surgeries should order mouthpieces directly from suppliers. Example suppliers can be found in the latest service specification
- Read the Level 2 General Practice Stop Smoking Service Specification [Latest version: 1st April 2018 – 31 March 2019]
Resources which may be helpful during stop smoking service consultations (but not to be returned):
- Short Monitoring Form – (please note Public Health Devon no longer accept paper monitoring forms and the Excel spreadsheet Monitoring Form that is sent to the practice each quarter should be used)
- Smoking Cessation Individual Client NRT Record – This document is an aid only and not required for submission to Public Health Devon. If used, please retain this form in the practice for your own records.
Promote your in-house stop smoking service
The availability of advisors to support quitting smoking should be prominently advertised within your GP surgery using posters and resources available from Public Health England.
GP surgeries can also use the latest local and national campaigns to promote smoking cessation within the local community.
All GP surgeries can promote the Devon general healthy lifestyles service
If GP surgeries do not have in-house smoking cessation advisors, or are unable to make convenient appointments with patients, they can refer individuals to OneSmallStep for support to quit smoking.
OneSmallStep is a local service funded by Devon County Council to offer, information, advice and guidance about healthy lifestyles to it’s residents. The free service can be accessed online and by telephone. Through coaching, support is available for people who wish to quit smoking, cut down on alcohol, maintain a healthy weight and be more active.
GP settings can signpost patients to the OSS service by giving them a self referral contact card. Patients should then contact the service directly themselves. Contact cards can be ordered by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Specialist Stop Smoking Support Service
Devon has a specialist stop smoking service. Advisors within the specialist stop smoking team, part of the OneSmallStep Healthy Lifestyle Service, work with targeted populations, e.g. pregnant women.
How can my practice get involved in providing an in-house stop smoking service?
To find out more about providing an in-house stop smoking service in your practice, please contact Public Health on email@example.com