Research shows that smokers are 3 times more likely to quit with the right medical and behavioural support compared with simply going ‘Cold Turkey’ and trying to quit unaided. It is important for pharmacies in Devon to provide a high quality, accessible stop smoking service for their clients.
Please use this page to find information about smoking cessation support in pharmacy settings including: Stop Smoking Service training, downloads of service specifications, NRT log forms, monitoring forms and guidance.
Stop Smoking Service Training
Pharmacies can access stop smoking service training including:
Please note – at least one stop smoking adviser must attend the Level 2 refresher training annually, to ensure knowledge is up to date and is cascaded to other smoking cessation advisors within the practice.
Useful information for current providers of Stop Smoking Services in pharmacy settings:
- All activity data must be submitted quarterly using PharmOutcomes. Devon County Council Public Health report on the effectiveness of the smoking cessation services to Public Health England.
- If you need to recalibrate or order a new Carbon Monoxide (CO) monitor, please contact the specialist stop smoking service at firstname.lastname@example.org – CO monitors should be brought to the annual refresher training for recalibration where possible.
- CO monitor mouthpieces – to replenish stocks please contact the specialist stop smoking service on email@example.com
- Read the Level 2 Pharmacy Stop Smoking Service Specification [Latest version: 1st April 2018 – 31 March 2019]
- Local information for services in Devon is summarised in the following document: Information for Stop Smoking Services in Devon
- Common questions are often answered in:
- The Devon Stop Smoking Services Report details the reach of services in Devon during 2018/19.
Resources which may be helpful for stop smoking service consultations (but not to be returned to Public Health Devon):
- Pharmacy short Monitoring Form (please note Public Health Devon no longer accept paper monitoring forms)
- Smoking Cessation Individual Client NRT Record – This document is an aid only and not required for submission to Public Health Devon. If used, please retain this form in the practice for your own records.
- List of GP Surgeries in Devon that prescribe stop smoking medications
- Letter of request Champix – Template letter to be sent to GP requesting medication.
- Letter of request Zyban – Template letter to be sent to GP requesting medication.
- Outcome of quit attempt letter to GP – Template letter to be sent to GP.
- Pharmacy Toolkit – Week by week guidance for pharmacies on the standard 6 week treatment programme supporting smokers to quit.
- NRT permitted Devon NHS Community Stop Smoking Services Revised v3 as at March 2015
Promote your in-house stop smoking service
The availability of advisors to support quitting smoking should be prominently advertised within your pharmacy using posters and resources available from Public Health England.
Pharmacies can also use the latest local and national campaigns to promote smoking cessation within the local community.
All pharmacies can promote the Devon general healthy lifestyles service
If pharmacies do not have in-house smoking cessation advisors, or are unable to make convenient appointments with patients, they can refer individuals to OneSmallStep for support to quit smoking.
OneSmallStep is a local service funded by Devon County Council to offer, information, advice and guidance about healthy lifestyles to it’s residents. The free service can be accessed online and by telephone. Through coaching, support is available for people who wish to quit smoking, cut down on alcohol, maintain a healthy weight and be more active.
Pharmacies can signpost people to the OSS service by referring them through the One Small Step website or giving them a self referral contact card. Contact cards can be ordered by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Specialist Stop Smoking Support Service
Devon has a specialist stop smoking service. Advisors within the specialist stop smoking team, part of the OneSmallStep Healthy Lifestyle Service, work with targeted populations, e.g. pregnant women.
How can my pharmacy get involved in providing a stop smoking service?
To find out more about providing a stop smoking service in your pharmacy, please contact Public Health on email@example.com